Baked Custard Honeypots
These delicious, velvety smooth custards are made with Lavender-infused liquid honey – ideal for a special occasion!
Lavender infused honey
- 3-4 tbsp mild flavoured liquid honey. Clover is ideal see
how to make lavender honey
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 200 ml thick cream
- 1 vanilla pod split in half, or 2 teasp. vanilla essence
- 4 medium sized eggs: 2 whole and 2 yolks only beaten together
- Crème fraiche to serve
- Spoon 3 teaspoons of warmed honey into each of 4 (150ml) ramekins, turning them so the bottoms and sides are coated with honey. Place the ramekins immediately into the freezer for 30-40 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 175º C
- Pour the milk into a saucepan. Add the cream and vanilla pod and bring almost to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the remainder of the honey. Leave to stand for a few minutes and add vanilla essence if not using a pod.
- When the milk is lukewarm remove the vanilla pod.
- Stir the beaten eggs into the milk, mixing well.
- Remove the ramekins from the freezer and divide the custard mixture among them.
- Place the ramekins in a deep baking dish, and pour in cold water until it reaches halfway up the molds.
- Place in the oven and bake 30-40 minutes, until golden brown on top and an inserted sharp knife or skewer is clean when removed.
- To serve, place each ramekin on an individual plate. Spoon a small portion of crème fraiche to the side and decorate with a few violets or a small sprig of lavender.