Spicy Honey Cake
Inspiration for this recipe from Jenni Fleetwood in her wonderful book “Honey” I have reduced the amount of sugar and honey and used lemon rind as well as the orange rind. Next time I’ll not use any sugar at all. I also used ½ wholemeal and ½ plain organic flours. If you can resist, the flavours of this cake mature over two to three days. Because honey attracts moisture cakes stay moist and fresh over that time.
- 1 ½ cups flour opt. ½ wholemeal and ½ plain
- ¼ cup very fine sugar I ground up my organic golden sugar in a small coffee grinder until it became powder-fine.
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup liquid honey a strong flavoured one like Native bush is nice
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Grated rind of orange and lemon if desired
- 2 eggs whole
- 5 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tsp chopped root ginger
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Line a rectangular baking tin 25 x 20 x 5cm with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and blend in remaining ingredients.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch, and golden brown.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, before storing at room temperature.
- Making a well for the ingredients